- A woman has been flogged and then hanged in Varamin
- A cab driver sexually assaulted a six-year-old girl in Iran
- U.S. casts doubt on credibility of Iran election
- Demonstrations in two Iranian universities
- Shahrokh Zamani and Khaled Hardani are on hunger strike
- Another civilian is sentenced to death in Khomeini Shahr
- US Congress Moves Toward Full Trade Embargo on Iran
- Israel says UN pressure having no effect on curbing Iran nukes
- U.S. Congress moves to tighten sanctions on Iran
- Iran pushes ahead with new nuclear plant that worries West
- Iran acts to expand sensitive nuclear capacity: diplomats
- CIA head visits Israel to discuss Syria, Iran's nuclear program
- Women skirt Iranian music ban with fancy dress
- Religious leaders ban 30 women from running for Iran's presidency
- Iranian cleric: Women can't be president in Iran
- Iranians marrying foreigners without state consent face prosecution
- More women smuggling drugs out of Iran
- Canada’s High Court could try Iran for Zahra Kazemi murder
- Iranian troops are fighting in Syria, says US
- Iran hackers aiming at U.S. energy firms
- Bahrain claims Iranian drone found
- UK: Iran, Hezbollah increasing support for Assad
- When it comes to Syria and Hezbollah, Israel is walking a tightrope
- IRGC: World now eying Iranian regime's resistance
Friday 01 June 2012
Iran Human Rights: At least nine prisoners were executed in two different prisons in Iran today and yesterday, reported unofficial reports from Iran.
The 8 executions take place only one day after the EU expressed concern about what they calles "the alarming increase in the use of death penalty" and asked Iran to "introduce a moratorium on executions"
Eight prisoners were executed in northwestern Iran:
According to the Kurdish "Mukrian News Agency" seven prisoners were hanged in the prison of Urmia (northwestern Iran). The report which was quoting Mr. Masoud Shamsnejad, the lawyer of one of those executed, all the prisoners were convicted of drug-related charges. The prisoners were identified as: Allahvordi A., Sayyad A., Safar P., Haji P., Khosro D., Nahad N., Omran G., and Abdolmajid M.
At least one prisoner was executed in Tehran today:
According to the website of "Human rights and democracy activists in Iran" (HRDAI) several prisoners were hanged in Tehran’s Evin prison this morning. One of the prisoners is identified as "Kourosh Zarini" who according to the report was involved in the uprising and clashes between the guards and prisoners in the Ghezel Hesar prison two years ago. More than 40 prisoners were killed under these clashes.
According to the official and unofficial reports from Iran at least 78 prisoners have been executed in May 2012 in Iran.
Yesterday EU expressed concern about the alarming increase in the use of death penalty in Iran.
According to Reuters the European Union criticized Iran on Wednesday for an “alarming” increase in the use of the death penalty this year, calling on Tehran to introduce a moratorium on executions.
“According to the latest data, compiled from a number of sources, the rate of executions in Iran during the first 5 months of 2012 confirmed the country as one of the world’s leading users of the death penalty,” a spokesman for the EU’s foreign policy chief said.
EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton is “deeply concerned by the alarming increase”, the spokesman said.