- 15 prisoners executed in Kermanshah and Ilam
- Maleki and Boroujerdi in Urgent Need of Medical Care
- Afshin Baymani got heart attack
- Maryam Shafi Pour will be tried in January
- 2 prisoner are hanged in Zahedan
- A handicapped political prisoner on hunger strike
- Poll: More Americans dislike Iran deal than support it
- Iran won’t acquire N-weapons the way Pakistan did: Obama
- 'Sanctions will fly out of Congress' if Iran reneges, Dem warns
- Iran: Nuclear deal dead if U.S. approves new sanctions
- Obama: Chances for Final Iran Deal 50-50 or Worse
- Netanyahu insists Iran can be forced to give up nuclear program
- UN women's rights resolution passed despite backlash
- Two Women and Four Men were Hanged in Iran
- Iran bans photos of female basketball players
- Iranian marriage rate falls as temporary partnerships increase
- New Deprivations for Iranian Women
- Campaign to free Iranian actor, Pegah Ahangarani
- Iran touts new laser that bolsters missile accuracy
- Iran to start mass-production of three new radars
- Syrian forces 'kill children' near capital
- Iran redeploys 2 warships
- Basij Plans To Infiltrate Schools
- Syrian PM tells ally Iran Assad is winning civil war
Sunday 20 April 2008
TEHRAN (AFP) - Iran's foreign ministry on Sunday backed the doubts expressed by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejed about the accepted version of the September 11, 2001 attacks, saying there were "many ambiguities."
Ahmadinejad last week caused controversy when he described the airborne attacks on New York and Washington by Al-Qaeda militants as a "suspect event" and cast doubt on the strikes in three speeches within the space of eight days.
"Regarding 9/11, as long as all the aspects have not been clarified this remains a suspicious incident," foreign ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini told reporters.
"Many analysts and observers who have followed this feel that there are many suspicions and ambiguities. There are many points of ambiguity surrounding it," he added.
US State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said he had been left "speechless" by Ahmadinejad's comments which he condemned as "misguided, misinformed rhetoric."
Ahmadinejad expressed suspicion that the names of the dead from the attacks "were never published" even though the names of more than 2,700 victims have been read out at annual memorial ceremonies.
He also said the United States used the strikes a "pretext" to launch invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan.
The controversial president has previously provoked outrage by describing the Holocaust as a myth and raising doubts over the scale of the mass slaughter of Jews in World War II.