- 8 Christians have been arrested in Shush
- Behnam Ebrahim Zadeh is on hunger strike
- World should thank Iran for high execution rate, says Tehran official
- Iran's dervishes on hunger strike inside, outside prison
- Iran hangs 16 in reprisal for Pakistan border killings
- 15 prisoners executed in Kermanshah and Ilam
- EU’s Ashton: No guaranteed success in Iran deal
- Regime's cleric: ‘Having a nuclear bomb is necessary to put down Israel’
- Parts of the Geneva Agreement Were not Coordinated with Khamenei
- Poll: More Americans dislike Iran deal than support it
- Iran won’t acquire N-weapons the way Pakistan did: Obama
- 'Sanctions will fly out of Congress' if Iran reneges, Dem warns
- Women lead fight against Islamism
- Iranian Woman Mahnaz Mirzaei Rules Sarapardeh Coal Mine!
- Release Women Prisoners of Conscience
- New Population and Family Plan Would Stifle Women, Says Iranian Civil Society
- UN women's rights resolution passed despite backlash
- Two Women and Four Men were Hanged in Iran
- Israel unloads 40 short-range rockets from Gaza-bound ship
- Iranian Commander: We Have Targets Within America
- IRGC: Tehran’s power to hit back beyond US comprehension
- Iran touts new laser that bolsters missile accuracy
- Iran to start mass-production of three new radars
- Syrian forces 'kill children' near capital
Monday 04 February 2013
Iran Human Rights: According to reports from reliable sources in Iran, as many as 400 prisoners may have been executed in Vakilabad Prison, Mashhad. According to the sources, there have been secret executions of prisoners taking place every Wednesday and Sunday, and sometimes up to three times a week. No detailed information is available on the amount of prisoners executed, but at least on one occasion the number of executions were as high as 50 people. Sources say that up to 400 prisoners may have been executed in the past four or five months.
Sources say weekly executions are still taking place.
The information on these executions has been confirmed by two independent sources. Iran Human Rights (IHR) will publish more details when available.
IHR and several other human rights organizations warned in September 2010 about secret mass executions in Vakilabad Prison. According to IHR’s annual reports on the death penalty in Iran, at least 226 prisoners were executed in 2010 and 133 prisoners were executed in 2011. More than 200 additional reported executions were not included in the reports due to lack of details.
Iran saw a temporary halt in executions in late 2011 as a result of international attention on the issue.
IHR urges the international community to react to reports of secret mass executions in Vakilabad Prison. Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam, the spokesperson of IHR said: "We ask the UN to conduct a fact-finding mission in Iran to urgently investigate reports of mass executions in Vakilabad Prison."