- Three converted Christians arrested in Folad Shahr- Isfahan
- A journalist was tried in Shoshtar
- Iran and Prisoners of Conscience
- Gonabadi Dervishes and Civil Disobedience
- Iran releases arrested journalist on bail
- Son of Sunni Imam transferred to prison after 3 months solitary
- Blast kills 2 at suspected Iranian nuclear site
- White House monitoring Iran's Parchin military facility after deadly fire
- 353 US Reps to Kerry: Iran 'Stonewalling' on Nuke Detonator
- Obama clueless on Iran once again
- Iran says UN nuclear officials coming to Tehran
- US House representatives concerned about Iran's refusal to cooperate with IAEA
- Mother of Iranian woman sentenced to death makes plea for daughter's life
- Iran to Hang Rayhaneh Jabbari for Killing Man who Tried to Rape Her
- Iranian Women Unemployment Rate at 43.4 Percent
- Rock Star Scientist
- Remembering Simin Behbahani
- Poet Known As The 'Lioness Of Iran' Dies At 87
- Getting Into Bed with Iran in Iraq Will Have Consequences
- Iran to send four satellites into orbit: ISA
- Israeli Prime Minister: ISIS and Nuclear Iran Are ‘Twin Challenges’
- Iran 'to militarily assist' Lebanon army
- Why many in the Islamic Republic of Iran pray for war with Israel, US
- Netanyahu to Push Iran as Worse Threat Than Islamic State
Monday 04 February 2013
Iran Human Rights: According to reports from reliable sources in Iran, as many as 400 prisoners may have been executed in Vakilabad Prison, Mashhad. According to the sources, there have been secret executions of prisoners taking place every Wednesday and Sunday, and sometimes up to three times a week. No detailed information is available on the amount of prisoners executed, but at least on one occasion the number of executions were as high as 50 people. Sources say that up to 400 prisoners may have been executed in the past four or five months.
Sources say weekly executions are still taking place.
The information on these executions has been confirmed by two independent sources. Iran Human Rights (IHR) will publish more details when available.
IHR and several other human rights organizations warned in September 2010 about secret mass executions in Vakilabad Prison. According to IHR’s annual reports on the death penalty in Iran, at least 226 prisoners were executed in 2010 and 133 prisoners were executed in 2011. More than 200 additional reported executions were not included in the reports due to lack of details.
Iran saw a temporary halt in executions in late 2011 as a result of international attention on the issue.
IHR urges the international community to react to reports of secret mass executions in Vakilabad Prison. Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam, the spokesperson of IHR said: "We ask the UN to conduct a fact-finding mission in Iran to urgently investigate reports of mass executions in Vakilabad Prison."