- UN Resolution on Human Rights in Iran Passes by 78-35 Margin
- Arash Sadeghi met his family after 70 days
- Protest of Mohammad Ali Taheri’s students in front of Evin Prison
- Four Bahai shops closed in Nashtarud, more closures expected
- 11 Sunni prisoners at risk of imminent execution
- Mohammah Banazadeh released from prison
- Report: Iran secretly continuing nuclear weapons work
- Iran unveils the dates on building new nuclear reactors
- Britain says not optimistic about Iran nuclear deal by deadline
- Democratic transition to prevent revolutionary Iran from nuclear-armed status
- Obama warns of 'big gap' as US, Iran seek nuclear deal
- Agency claims Iran still working toward nukes
- Woman gets 1 year in Iranian jail for attending volleyball game
- Mother of Iranian woman sentenced to death makes plea for daughter's life
- Iran to Hang Rayhaneh Jabbari for Killing Man who Tried to Rape Her
- Iranian Women Unemployment Rate at 43.4 Percent
- Rock Star Scientist
- Remembering Simin Behbahani
- Getting Close to Terror, but Not to Stop It
- Lawmakers slam Obama's 'outrageous' letter to Ayatollah
- Iranian regime: US is still ‘number one enemy’
- ISIS eyes using Ebola as bio weapon: Spain
- Egypt, Gulf Arab allies eye anti-militant alliance
- Putin's Response to EU Sanctions: See You in Court
Monday 04 February 2013
Iran Human Rights: According to reports from reliable sources in Iran, as many as 400 prisoners may have been executed in Vakilabad Prison, Mashhad. According to the sources, there have been secret executions of prisoners taking place every Wednesday and Sunday, and sometimes up to three times a week. No detailed information is available on the amount of prisoners executed, but at least on one occasion the number of executions were as high as 50 people. Sources say that up to 400 prisoners may have been executed in the past four or five months.
Sources say weekly executions are still taking place.
The information on these executions has been confirmed by two independent sources. Iran Human Rights (IHR) will publish more details when available.
IHR and several other human rights organizations warned in September 2010 about secret mass executions in Vakilabad Prison. According to IHR’s annual reports on the death penalty in Iran, at least 226 prisoners were executed in 2010 and 133 prisoners were executed in 2011. More than 200 additional reported executions were not included in the reports due to lack of details.
Iran saw a temporary halt in executions in late 2011 as a result of international attention on the issue.
IHR urges the international community to react to reports of secret mass executions in Vakilabad Prison. Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam, the spokesperson of IHR said: "We ask the UN to conduct a fact-finding mission in Iran to urgently investigate reports of mass executions in Vakilabad Prison."