- Arzhang Davoodi sentenced to death by the revolutionary court
- 50 prisoners have been hanged in Kerman during last 6 months
- 7 Sunni converts arrested for holding congregational Taraweeh prayers
- Ay. Sadr Issues Fatwa on Bahai Rights
- Iranian Judiciary Sentences Longtime Imprisoned Writer Arzhang Davoudi to Death
- Mother of U.S. Marine jailed in Iran pleads for her son as nuclear talks are extended
- Senator calls for return of Iran sanctions
- Would Hitting Russia With Iran-Style Sanctions Work?
- Trying to stop an Iran giveaway
- Extending Iran talks – potential and limitations
- No, Obama Isn't Our New Chamberlain
- EU extends Iran sanctions hold-off until November
- City of Tehran’s female workers fired 'for own well-being'
- Marriage of 31,000 Underage Girls in 9 Months
- Iran won’t let women watch the world cup
- Female Musicians Banned from Stage in Isfahan
- Iranian Journalist Denounced as ‘Whore’ Amid Women’s Rights Campaign
- Woman Hanged in Northern Iran- Mother in Law Carried Out the Execution
- Qatar seeks to pull Hamas away from Iran
- Iran military might aimed at countering great enemy: Cmdr.
- Iran draws up roadmap to send humans into space
- Iranian commanders on front line of Iraq's fight
- Iran’s fingerprints all over Hamas-Israel conflict
- With Help from Iran, Hamas Fights Israel With Rockets
Monday 04 February 2013
Iran Human Rights: According to reports from reliable sources in Iran, as many as 400 prisoners may have been executed in Vakilabad Prison, Mashhad. According to the sources, there have been secret executions of prisoners taking place every Wednesday and Sunday, and sometimes up to three times a week. No detailed information is available on the amount of prisoners executed, but at least on one occasion the number of executions were as high as 50 people. Sources say that up to 400 prisoners may have been executed in the past four or five months.
Sources say weekly executions are still taking place.
The information on these executions has been confirmed by two independent sources. Iran Human Rights (IHR) will publish more details when available.
IHR and several other human rights organizations warned in September 2010 about secret mass executions in Vakilabad Prison. According to IHR’s annual reports on the death penalty in Iran, at least 226 prisoners were executed in 2010 and 133 prisoners were executed in 2011. More than 200 additional reported executions were not included in the reports due to lack of details.
Iran saw a temporary halt in executions in late 2011 as a result of international attention on the issue.
IHR urges the international community to react to reports of secret mass executions in Vakilabad Prison. Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam, the spokesperson of IHR said: "We ask the UN to conduct a fact-finding mission in Iran to urgently investigate reports of mass executions in Vakilabad Prison."