- Suicide rate among Iranian youth on the rise
- Support for European resolution, call for release of 52 journalists
- Former U.S. Marine's family asks Iran to reconsider prison term
- 1 Prisoner Hanged in Northwestern Iran- 3 to be Hanged in Baluchestan
- Nasour Naghipoor returned to Evin Prison
- Court prevents lawyer from accessing files of five Sunni prisoners
- Iran says entitled to enrich uranium at 90% weapons-grade level
- Iran to build four new nuclear power plants
- Iran needs 30,000 more centrifuges to meet domestic fuel demands
- Iran nuclear talks hit hurdles, face deep skepticism on Hill
- Khamenei says Iran’s nuclear plans will not be stopped
- U.S. warns on Iran 'breakout' capability as nuclear talks start
- Iranian woman at risk of execution: Reyhaneh Jabbari
- Obligatory hejab in Iran leads to increasing use of cosmetics
- Save 26 year old Rayhaneh Jabbari from being hanged in Iran
- Iranian actress sentenced to death
- No New Day As Yet For Women In Iran
- Woman Scream International Poetry Festival in honor of women and against violence
- Report: Iran's border guards start limited drill
- Iran to hold its first UAV military exercises
- Report: Iran calls off plan to dispatch warships to Atlantic
- Why Is Iran Shipping Arm to Hamas and Hezbollah?
- Senate passes Cruz-backed bill to bar Iran’s U.N. ambassador
- Iran-backed terrorist cell infiltrated Turkish gov't at highest level
Monday 04 February 2013
Iran Human Rights: According to reports from reliable sources in Iran, as many as 400 prisoners may have been executed in Vakilabad Prison, Mashhad. According to the sources, there have been secret executions of prisoners taking place every Wednesday and Sunday, and sometimes up to three times a week. No detailed information is available on the amount of prisoners executed, but at least on one occasion the number of executions were as high as 50 people. Sources say that up to 400 prisoners may have been executed in the past four or five months.
Sources say weekly executions are still taking place.
The information on these executions has been confirmed by two independent sources. Iran Human Rights (IHR) will publish more details when available.
IHR and several other human rights organizations warned in September 2010 about secret mass executions in Vakilabad Prison. According to IHR’s annual reports on the death penalty in Iran, at least 226 prisoners were executed in 2010 and 133 prisoners were executed in 2011. More than 200 additional reported executions were not included in the reports due to lack of details.
Iran saw a temporary halt in executions in late 2011 as a result of international attention on the issue.
IHR urges the international community to react to reports of secret mass executions in Vakilabad Prison. Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam, the spokesperson of IHR said: "We ask the UN to conduct a fact-finding mission in Iran to urgently investigate reports of mass executions in Vakilabad Prison."