- Son Asks For Dad's Release From Tehran Prison
- Prisoners Of Urumieh Prison Returned From Solitary Confinement
- Execution of 12 Prisoners In Rajai Shahr Prison Postponed
- Kamal Sharifi Deprived of Having Prison Visits
- Court Of Appeal Reduced The Sentences Of 2 Civil Activists
- Rasoul Bodaghi Transferred To Ward 7 Of Evin Prison
- American Judge Challenges Iran Prisoner Deal
- Key senators look to slap new sanctions on country
- Iran: $100b. in assets 'fully released' under nuclear deal
- Officials Say France Wants More Iran Sanctions
- GOP, Dems push Obama on Iran sanctions
- Will the Iran nuclear deal kill Louisiana jobs?
- Almost naked Femen protests during Iran president visit
- Iranian actress attacked in Kashan on way to screening
- Hila Sedighi Arrested at Airport in Tehran, Latest in String of Arrests
- Iran impounds tens of thousands of cars for women’s mal-veiling
- Women Participating in Historical Saudi Elections
- 70% Of Iran's Science And Engineering Students Are Women
- Senior Hamas official slams Iran
- Iran test-fires torpedoes, missiles during naval drill
- Iran drone over U.S. ship
- Man arrested with two guns near Disneyland Paris
- Iran warns U.S. Navy ship, fighter jet to stay way
- Iran training volunteer ‘advisers’ to serve in Syria
Monday 04 February 2013
Iran Human Rights: According to reports from reliable sources in Iran, as many as 400 prisoners may have been executed in Vakilabad Prison, Mashhad. According to the sources, there have been secret executions of prisoners taking place every Wednesday and Sunday, and sometimes up to three times a week. No detailed information is available on the amount of prisoners executed, but at least on one occasion the number of executions were as high as 50 people. Sources say that up to 400 prisoners may have been executed in the past four or five months.
Sources say weekly executions are still taking place.
The information on these executions has been confirmed by two independent sources. Iran Human Rights (IHR) will publish more details when available.
IHR and several other human rights organizations warned in September 2010 about secret mass executions in Vakilabad Prison. According to IHR’s annual reports on the death penalty in Iran, at least 226 prisoners were executed in 2010 and 133 prisoners were executed in 2011. More than 200 additional reported executions were not included in the reports due to lack of details.
Iran saw a temporary halt in executions in late 2011 as a result of international attention on the issue.
IHR urges the international community to react to reports of secret mass executions in Vakilabad Prison. Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam, the spokesperson of IHR said: "We ask the UN to conduct a fact-finding mission in Iran to urgently investigate reports of mass executions in Vakilabad Prison."