- Security forces clash with teachers at rally across parliament
- Prisoners of Ward 8 of Evin Prison Deprived of Warm Water
- Nasrin Sotoudeh Summoned to the Court
- 1 Political Prisoners Released, 2 Had to Return to the Ward
- Esmail Abdi Transferred to Ward 8 of Evin Prison
- 14 Films That Have Been Banned in Iran Since 2007
- Iran unveils new longer-range solid fuel missile
- Prospect of Self-Inspections by Iran Feeds Opposition to Nuclear Deal
- Iran planning ballistic missile war games
- Obama promises to keep military options open in Iran nuclear deal
- Don’t trust Iran’s words – look at its actions
- Chuck Schumer to vote against Iran nuclear deal
- They Want To Kill My Daughter
- Iranian women aren't even allowed to watch volleyball
- Latest List of the Political Prisoners in Women’s Ward
- Women 'Forbidden' From Attending U.S. vs. Iran Volleyball Game
- Iranian woman on FB fights mandatory dress code
- Female genital mutilation practised in Iran, study reveals
- IDF: Iran's Quds Force responsible for rocket fire
- Iran Quds chief visited Russia despite UN travel ban
- Iran admits to 400 funerals for Syria fighters
- Israel sees Iran as main problem in region, US views it as part of solution
- Khamenei’s Representative: DAESH Is Not a Critical Issue
- Hezbollah officials slam Nasrallah for hand outs to Mughniyah family
Monday 04 February 2013
Iran Human Rights: According to reports from reliable sources in Iran, as many as 400 prisoners may have been executed in Vakilabad Prison, Mashhad. According to the sources, there have been secret executions of prisoners taking place every Wednesday and Sunday, and sometimes up to three times a week. No detailed information is available on the amount of prisoners executed, but at least on one occasion the number of executions were as high as 50 people. Sources say that up to 400 prisoners may have been executed in the past four or five months.
Sources say weekly executions are still taking place.
The information on these executions has been confirmed by two independent sources. Iran Human Rights (IHR) will publish more details when available.
IHR and several other human rights organizations warned in September 2010 about secret mass executions in Vakilabad Prison. According to IHR’s annual reports on the death penalty in Iran, at least 226 prisoners were executed in 2010 and 133 prisoners were executed in 2011. More than 200 additional reported executions were not included in the reports due to lack of details.
Iran saw a temporary halt in executions in late 2011 as a result of international attention on the issue.
IHR urges the international community to react to reports of secret mass executions in Vakilabad Prison. Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam, the spokesperson of IHR said: "We ask the UN to conduct a fact-finding mission in Iran to urgently investigate reports of mass executions in Vakilabad Prison."