- 11 Prisoners Executed in Iran
- Journalist Exiled the Day He Completes Six Years in Prison
- How to Help Saeed Malekpour
- Iranian journalist Ahmad Zeidabadi banished to exile
- World’s Most Infamous Hookup App Catches On In Islamist Iran
- Majid Moghadam in Critical Condition in Evin prison
- Obama on Iran Deal: 'Personal Interest in Locking This Down'
- Khamenei “won’t allow any inspections on military sites"
- Iran nuclear deal must avoid destabilizing region
- Iran Nuclear Talks Open a Tangled Path to Ending Syria’s War
- Russian Missile Sale to Iran Involves Unseen Deals With Israel
- Why a U.S.-Iran friendship is just wishful thinking
- Iranian female cartoonist could face years in prison
- Narges Mohammadi Charged for Civic Activism
- Criado-Perez: ‘We deserve to know about the women...'
- Managing Editor of Banned Women’s Publication Hopes for Reversal of Decision
- Iran bans magazine after 'white marriage' special
- Worsening Conditions for Women in Iran Begin to Draw Attention
- Iran warns Israel of Hezbollah rockets if attacked
- Mystery deepens over Iranian cargo ships en route to Yemen
- New Tensions Build Between U.S. and Iran in Waters Off Yemen
- Iran’s Mock-up Aircraft Carrier Returns to Bandar Abbas
- U.S. Navy Escorting British Ships After Dispute
- Times may remain tough in Yemen for 3-5 months
Monday 04 February 2013
Iran Human Rights: According to reports from reliable sources in Iran, as many as 400 prisoners may have been executed in Vakilabad Prison, Mashhad. According to the sources, there have been secret executions of prisoners taking place every Wednesday and Sunday, and sometimes up to three times a week. No detailed information is available on the amount of prisoners executed, but at least on one occasion the number of executions were as high as 50 people. Sources say that up to 400 prisoners may have been executed in the past four or five months.
Sources say weekly executions are still taking place.
The information on these executions has been confirmed by two independent sources. Iran Human Rights (IHR) will publish more details when available.
IHR and several other human rights organizations warned in September 2010 about secret mass executions in Vakilabad Prison. According to IHR’s annual reports on the death penalty in Iran, at least 226 prisoners were executed in 2010 and 133 prisoners were executed in 2011. More than 200 additional reported executions were not included in the reports due to lack of details.
Iran saw a temporary halt in executions in late 2011 as a result of international attention on the issue.
IHR urges the international community to react to reports of secret mass executions in Vakilabad Prison. Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam, the spokesperson of IHR said: "We ask the UN to conduct a fact-finding mission in Iran to urgently investigate reports of mass executions in Vakilabad Prison."