- Where’s the Outrage Over Iran’s Exploited Children?
- Iran: Five Prisoners Executed On Drug Charges
- Why Obama Let Iran's Green Revolution Fail
- Four Prisoners Executed for Moharebeh, Including One in Public
- Two Prisoners Executed in Southern Iran
- Senior Iran cleric faces down culture minister over concerts
- ANZ refuses Australian customers transactions with Iran
- U.S. warns of dire consequences if Iran nuclear deal scrapped
- Obama increasingly isolated on Iran giveaways
- Some Administration Officials Are Too Close to Tehran
- U.S. blacklists firms, individuals over Iran missile program
- Banking sanctions take center stage as Iranian rhetoric toughens
- Leila Vaziri & the Nine Female Olympians from Iran
- A Woman and Man Executed in Northern Iran on Drug Related Charges
- Atena Faraghdani Will be Released on May 11th.
- It's not enough to speak up for refugee women
- Meet 10 women speaking truth to power
- Young Woman’s Quest for Higher Education Exposes Iran’s Discrimination Against Baha’is
- US Navy ship fired warning shots at Iranian ship
- US Navy Destroyer 'Harassed' by Iranian Speedboats
- IRGC: Iran Formed Shi’ite Army to Destroy Israel by 2039
- Russia and Iran's Marriage of Convenience Is No Strategic Alliance
- Feds Admit Iran Is Suddenly More Interested In Capturing Americans
- White House Stalling Probe Into $1.3B Payment to Iran
Monday 04 February 2013
Iran Human Rights: According to reports from reliable sources in Iran, as many as 400 prisoners may have been executed in Vakilabad Prison, Mashhad. According to the sources, there have been secret executions of prisoners taking place every Wednesday and Sunday, and sometimes up to three times a week. No detailed information is available on the amount of prisoners executed, but at least on one occasion the number of executions were as high as 50 people. Sources say that up to 400 prisoners may have been executed in the past four or five months.
Sources say weekly executions are still taking place.
The information on these executions has been confirmed by two independent sources. Iran Human Rights (IHR) will publish more details when available.
IHR and several other human rights organizations warned in September 2010 about secret mass executions in Vakilabad Prison. According to IHR’s annual reports on the death penalty in Iran, at least 226 prisoners were executed in 2010 and 133 prisoners were executed in 2011. More than 200 additional reported executions were not included in the reports due to lack of details.
Iran saw a temporary halt in executions in late 2011 as a result of international attention on the issue.
IHR urges the international community to react to reports of secret mass executions in Vakilabad Prison. Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam, the spokesperson of IHR said: "We ask the UN to conduct a fact-finding mission in Iran to urgently investigate reports of mass executions in Vakilabad Prison."