- EU Parliament Passes Resolution Condemning Iran’s Holocaust Denial, Support for Terrorism
- 25 people found dead in Mediterranean migrant boat: MSF
- UN: 2016 the deadliest year for refugees fleeing conflict and poverty
- European Parliament resolution condemns Iran for anti-Semitism
- Refugees Pose Overwhelming Challenge to Europe’s Police
- About 30 casualties and injuries in Jisr al-Shughur and Maarrat Misrin
- Another View: Poliquin has good reason to oppose U.S.-Iran nuclear deal
- ‘Stakes’ Ad Pushes for Support of Iran Sanctions Act Extension
- Opinion: Iran Nuke Deal Will Spawn More Proxy Attacks Like The Ones In Yemen
- Why an Iran-Style Deal Isn't Possible with North Korea
- Marco Rubio: Iran Nuclear Deal an Unfolding Disaster
- U.S. Can Pursue Turk Accused of Conspiring to Violate Iran Sanctions
- 45 Weird Bans on Women in Iran
- Imprisoned Kurdish woman at risk of losing sight: Amnesty
- Iranian Women Naghals at Frankfurt Book Fair
- Woman Sentenced to 6 years in Prison for Unpublished Story and Facebook Posts Rejects Prison Summons
- Leila Vaziri & the Nine Female Olympians from Iran
- A Woman and Man Executed in Northern Iran on Drug Related Charges
- FBI Notes Reveal Security Concerns Over Huma Abedin
- Royce: Iran's new ransom demand confirms worst fears
- The ransom effect? Iran handing down harsh sentences for Iranian-Americans after swap
- Takfiri “Al Shabab” On Rampage in Somalia
- Iran Regime’s impasse in Syria
- Mosul Fight Unleashes New Horrors on Civilians
Monday 04 February 2013
Iran Human Rights: According to reports from reliable sources in Iran, as many as 400 prisoners may have been executed in Vakilabad Prison, Mashhad. According to the sources, there have been secret executions of prisoners taking place every Wednesday and Sunday, and sometimes up to three times a week. No detailed information is available on the amount of prisoners executed, but at least on one occasion the number of executions were as high as 50 people. Sources say that up to 400 prisoners may have been executed in the past four or five months.
Sources say weekly executions are still taking place.
The information on these executions has been confirmed by two independent sources. Iran Human Rights (IHR) will publish more details when available.
IHR and several other human rights organizations warned in September 2010 about secret mass executions in Vakilabad Prison. According to IHR’s annual reports on the death penalty in Iran, at least 226 prisoners were executed in 2010 and 133 prisoners were executed in 2011. More than 200 additional reported executions were not included in the reports due to lack of details.
Iran saw a temporary halt in executions in late 2011 as a result of international attention on the issue.
IHR urges the international community to react to reports of secret mass executions in Vakilabad Prison. Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam, the spokesperson of IHR said: "We ask the UN to conduct a fact-finding mission in Iran to urgently investigate reports of mass executions in Vakilabad Prison."