Tuesday 08 October 2013

UK and Iran appoint chargés d’affaires

Britain and Iran are taking the first steps towards reopening embassies in each other’s capitals, it emerged on Tuesday, in the latest indication of the improved relations between Tehran and the west.

The two embassies have been closed since 2011, when the UK mission in Tehran was over-run by protesters and Britain accused the Iranians of failing to protect it as required under international law.

But on Tuesday, William Hague, Britain’s foreign secretary, said non-resident chargés d’affaires will be appointed by the governments in London and Tehran. The move following negotiations after the election of election of Hassan Rouhani as Iranian president in June.

Mr Hague told lawmakers in the House of Commons that he had spoken by phone on Monday to Iranian foreign minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, following meetings in New York last month.

“It is clear that the new president and ministers in Iran are presenting themselves and their country in a much more positive way than in the recent past,” Mr Hague said. “There is no doubt the tone of the meetings with them is different.”

Iran’s foreign ministry spokeswoman, Marzieh Afkham, said the two countries’ agreement was based on Iranian parliament’s approval – just before closure of the embassy – to downgrade relations with Britain to chargé de affaires level.

“The issues related to the Iranian nation’s historical memories about Britain’s role [interference] in Iran and the two countries’ differences over the nuclear programme, the Middle East and human rights will be discussed in Iran’s future talks with Britain,” she said.

In London, Mr Hague said the “much more positive” tone from Iran would need to be matched by “concrete action and a viable approach” when the long-stalled nuclear talks resume in Geneva next week.

“Iran remains in defiance of six UN Security Council resolutions . . . and it is installing more centrifuges in its nuclear facilities,” said Mr Hague. “In the absence of substantial change to these policies, we will continue to maintain strong sanctions. A substantial change in British or Western policies requires a substantive change in that programme.”

He also surveyed hopes for progress on holding a new Geneva peace conference on Syria, but said it was not clear whether Iran, a key supporter of President Bashar al-Assad, would be invited to take part. “Iran will need to change its actual policies on the ground, which include supporting a regime which is murdering its people in huge numbers,” Hague said.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2013.




© copyright 2004 - 2026 IranPressNews.com All Rights Reserved