- Iran: Eight Prisoners Hanged on Drug Charges
- Daughter of late Iranian president jailed for ‘spreading lies’
- IRAN: Annual report on the death penalty 2016
- Taheri Facing the Death Penalty Again
- Dedicated team seeking return of missing agent in Iran
- Iran Arrests 2, Seizes Bibles During Catholic Crackdown
- Trump to welcome Netanyahu as Palestinians fear U.S. shift
- Details of Iran nuclear deal still secret as US-Tehran relations unravel
- Will Trump's Next Iran Sanctions Target China's Banks?
- Don’t ‘tear up’ the Iran deal. Let it fail on its own.
- Iran Has Changed, But For The Worse
- Iran nuclear deal ‘on life support,’ Priebus says
- Female Activist Criticizes Rouhani’s Failure to Protect Citizens
- Iran’s 1st female bodybuilder tells her story
- Iranian lady becomes a Dollar Millionaire on Valentine’s Day
- Two women arrested after being filmed riding motorbike in Iran
- 43,000 Cases of Child Marriage in Iran
- Woman Investigating Clinton Foundation Child Trafficking KILLED!
- Senior Senators, ex-US officials urge firm policy on Iran
- In backing Syria's Assad, Russia looks to outdo Iran
- Six out of 10 People in France ‘Don’t Feel Safe Anywhere’
- The liberal narrative is in denial about Iran
- Netanyahu urges Putin to block Iranian power corridor
- Iran Poses ‘Greatest Long Term Threat’ To Mid-East Security
Tuesday 22 November 2016
According to Shargh newspaper on November 17, the age of prostitute girls has been decreased to 16 while the age of girls running away from home has been reduced to nine.
Speaking at Tehran University of Social Sciences, the Director of Iranian Psychiatric Association’s Department of Social Issues and Harms, Dr. Bokharaee has stated that ”factors such as poverty, addiction of wife or husband, forced marriage and men’s diversity-seeking attitude and in some cases the oversupply of prostitution along with little marriage opportunities may be regarded as the causes of prostitution”, according to Shargh newspaper.
Bokharaee said that “according to the Welfare Organization, the age of prostitute girls is reduced to 16 while the age of girls running away from home has decreased to nine. And it should also be noted that running away from home may lead to prostitution.”
He added: “according to official figures, there are thousands of prostitutes in Iran, of which twelve percent are married women. We should however note that since prostitution is considered a criminal act in the country, these are just parts of the figures we have access to.”
Shargh newspaper then quotes someone named Dr. Madani, also speaking at the same event, as saying: “what is significant in this regard is that social problems in the country, whether it be prostitution or addiction, have structural roots, because of which it’s hard to treat or find a solution for an issue like addiction, or similarly in the case of prostitution, no proper solution can be obtained since wrong macro-socioeconomic policies have led us to a point that it would be too hard to find a solution.”